JeffHELP CHATT is not a crisis service. If you are in crisis and need to speak to someone immediately, please call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) or 911.
What is CHATT?
- Create a brave space
- Help students find resources
- Available for 1-1 talks
- Train students in how to be a good peer listener
- Teach students how to maintain mental health
CHATT is a program designed by students for students at Thomas Jefferson University to promote mental health awareness and discussion about mental health. It is comprised of students who wish to be a listening ear for peers who need additional support and would like someone to talk to about current concerns. There are some important things that you should know about the program:
- CHATT members are not licensed counselors but do receive ongoing training on how to be a support system for peers.
- CHATT meetings are limited to 5 visits because peer listeners are not substitutes for licensed counselors and the goal of the program is to assist with short-term problems or other personal challenges for which you would value peer support and insight.
- The content of your meetings with a peer listener will remain confidential unless it is determined that professional intervention is needed to keep you and/or others safe.