Who is a JeffHELPer?
Any faculty, staff, or employee who wants to be an ear for students’ nonspecific academic and personal needs. JeffHELPers simply need to be good listeners for the Jefferson community. They are not expected to act as a counselor or therapist nor should they act in this capacity.
What is the process to becoming a JeffHELPer?
- Interested individuals are given access to free gatekeeper training offered by the QPR Institute. Established by Dr. Paul Quinett, the QPR Institute is one of the leading and most recognized gatekeeper training programs for suicide prevention in the United States.
“QPR online is hosted by actress and author, Carrie Fisher, and uses web-based technology, compelling graphics, and streamed video to instruct learners on:
- How to get help for yourself or learn more about preventing suicide
- The common causes of suicidal behavior
- The warning signs of suicide
- How to Question, Persuade and Refer someone who may be suicidal
- How to get help for someone in crisis”
- Upon completion of the training, JeffHELPers will be given a door hanger designating them as a certified JeffHELPer.
- JeffHELPers will receive a laminated resource sheet containing relevant information for a variety of situations they may encounter.
- Finally your name and preferred contact information such as phone number and office location will be placed onto JeffHELP.org for students to be able to connect with you.